Research focus and expertise
Research at BF2I is focused on the comprehension of the functions managing the interaction of specific insect pests (aphids and weevils) with their direct biological partners (host plants and symbiotic microorganisms). Research approaches are multi-disciplinary thanks to the different expertise of the staff members.
The central theme of our research is to understand the relationships established between insects and their symbionts elucidating the molecular mechanisms that allow the establishment, maintenance and persistence of these complex interactions in multiple insect generations.
The final goal of research on these complex biological interactions, often involving multiple partners in interaction with the environment, is to identify tools and define new concepts for an integrated approach for plant protection against insect pests. Our research results are to be central for the development of agricultural practices that are sustainable, and respect both the environment and human health.
© Pea aphid photography Stephan Borensztajn
- Symbiosis and Immune Signaling (SymSIm team)
- Functional Genomics of Trophic Interactions in Symbiosis (SymT team)
Technological Watch Groups
- Genomics and Bioinformatics (leader: N. Parisot)
- Metabolomics and Protein production (leader : P. Da Silva)
- Imaging et Microscopy (leader: S. Balmand)
- Insect physiology
- Insect bacterial symbiosis
- Molecular and cellular biology of insects symbiosis
- Analytical biochemistry, proteins structural analysis and modeling
- Microscopy: cellular and molecular imaging
- Genomics, bioinformatics and statistics
- Masters degree and PhD Schools Affiliations
- « Ecosciences, Microbiology » Master’s degree, University of Lyon
- « Evolution, Ecosystems, Microbiology, Modeling (E2M2) » Doctoral School, University of Lyon
Après deux ans de procédure, l’article de Rita Rebollo et de ses collègues est enfin paru dans la revue Nature. Une satisfaction pour cette chercheuse en épigénétique.
Communiqué pour le départ en retraite de M. Gérard Febvay (DR INRA, UMR BF2I, INSA-Lyon)
Abdelaziz Heddi, Directeur de BF2I, a participé à un colloque à l'Académie des Sciences intitulé "Symbiose et cohabitation".